Submission for Approvals

If your study is led from England and involves the NHS in England, you should now use HRA Approval.

Researchers need to apply electronically through the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS), a single online system for applying for permissions and approvals for health and social care/community research in the UK. IRAS captures the information needed for the relevant approvals from the following bodies:

  • Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC)
  • Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG)
  • Gene Therapy Advisory Committee (GTAC)
  • Health Research Authority (HRA) for projects seeking HRA Approval
  • Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
  • NHS / HSC R&D offices (this applies to researchers wishing to conduct research in the NHS in Wales or Scotland, or Health and Social Care (HSC) in Northern Ireland
  • NHS / HSC Research Ethics Committees
  • National Offender Management Service (NOMS)
  • Social Care Research Ethics Committee

You can register on IRAS via:

Guidance on how to prepare and submit applications through IRAS  can be found on HRA website.               

If you require further information or support with completion of IRAS application you can contact our R&D team on